By Lisa Cypers Kamen.
With the new year just beginning, here are some tips to keeping the resolution you made for the New Year and how to be happy.
- Be specific. Instead of saying that you will “make friends” resolve to remember friends’ birthdays and anniversaries or friends’ kid’s birthdays. It will make things a lot easier for you.
- Write it down. Make sure it is somewhere where you will see it often – this will remind you of the resolution you’ve made. To go along with this…
- Review your resolution constantly. If your resolution is buzzing through your head, it’s easier to stick to it. You may want to review your resolution just before you go to bed at night or first thing in the morning, whatever works best.
- Hold yourself accountable. Tell other people about your resolution and score yourself on a chart or other method — whatever works for you to make yourself feel accountable for success and failure.
- Think BIG! Maybe you need a big change, a big adventure – a trip to a foreign place, learning a new language that you can use in that foreign country, etc. Anything is possible!
- Think small. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking that only big change can make a difference. Just keeping your fridge cleared out could give you a real boost.
- Ask for help. Why is this so hard? You’ll be amazed at what asking for help can do, especially if you are feeling overwhelmed.